A crowd pleaser recipe that is best made one or two days in advance. The recipe also freezes well
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5kg beef brisket trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Spicy BBQ Sauce or similar
- 2 x 400g tin diced tomatoes or 750ml Passata
- 4 Bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat half the oil in a large oven proof heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the beef and cook for 4-5 minutes each side until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, onion, and garlic to the pan and cook stirring approx. 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the wine and bring to the boil. Add the stock, water, Spicy Barbecue Sauce, tinned tomatoes or passata, bay leaves and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Return the beef to the pan with any juices and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid, transfer to the oven and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Turn the beef and cook for another 1 ½ hours or until very tender.
- Remove the beef from the sauce and place on a tray or plate. Use 2 forks to shred the meat and then return the meat to the sauce and stir to combine. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Download Recipe Here >> Slow Cooked Beef Brisket