Acheivable little cakes with a delicous jam centre!
So many jars of jam in our house – test batches, end of lines, wrongly labelled jars…and the list goes on! Always have my eye out for cakes and biscuits that use jam and these are very cute! This is based on a recipe from Delicious, a couple of years ago. We substituted our Strawberry & Apple Jam for Raspberry used in the recipe but any homemade jam would be equally good.
- 185g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1 – 2 teaspoons Strawberry & Apple jam for each cake (about 1/2 jar in total)
- Icing sugar, to dust
- (Makes 12)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 12-hole 1/3 cup cupcake pan.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar in an electric mixer until pale. Add the vanilla extract, then add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the baking powder and a pinch of salt, then add the flour and milk alternately, beating until well combined after each addition.
- Whisk the eggwhites in another bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the eggwhites into the batter.
- Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter in each muffin hole. Using 2 fingers, make an indentation in the batter and fill with a teaspoon of the jam. Top each with a tablespoon of batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes until light golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar