These buttery, melt-in-your-mouth Christmas shortbread biscuits are filled with jam, dusted with icing sugar and are perfect for Christmas baking!
- 2 ¼ cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (90g) icing sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (200g) unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes and chilled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Filling: ½ cup Strawberry Jam or other jam of your choice
- Process flour, sugar and salt in a food processor for a few seconds until combined. Add butter and pulse several times until mixture becomes crumbly and resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolk and vanilla, and keep pulsing until dough starts to clump together. The dough should be crumbly with large clumps. If dough is too dry, add a bit of water. Another way to check if the dough is done is to take a piece of dough and press it between your thumbs – the dough should stick well together without feeling dry. Turn the dough to a floured surface and form into a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line pans with baking paper and set aside.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until it’s about ½ cm thick. Cut 40 rounds or hearts of dough using a 2 inch (5cm) cookie cutter. Using a smaller round (or other shape) cutter, cut a hole into the centre of 20 of the cookies.
- Transfer cookies gently using a thin spatula to the prepared baking sheets, placing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are golden just at the edges. Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Sift powdered sugar on top of the cookies with the holes.
- Put about ½ teaspoon of jam in the centre of the whole cookies, then place the cookies with the holes on top, and press gently.
- Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
To Download Recipe Card please click here >> Christmas Shortbread Biscuit