- 250g dark cooking chocolate
- 175g butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 200g chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper.
- Place the chocolate and butter over low heat and gently melt.
- Use beaters or whisk to whisk eggs and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and vanilla to eggs and stir.
- Add flour, baking powder and nuts (if using) and combine. Pour mixture into a pan and bake in oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until crumbs cling to a skewer inserted into the centre.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup (207g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 55g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt
- In a medium to large saucier pan, combine the granulated sugar and water. Cook over medium-low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the butter and let it melt
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Stop whisking and don’t whisk at all during this part to help avoid crystallization. Allow to boil until the mixture turns a deep golden copper color, about 10-15 minutes, maybe longer depending on your stove. Keep an eye on it, but do not stir. If needed, you can occasionally tip the pan from side to side to help things cook evenly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add in the heavy whipping cream in a slow, steady stream. The caramel will bubbly up quite a bit, so be careful with this step. Whisk quickly and well as you add the cream, whisking until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and half a teaspoon of salt and whisk to combine. Add additional salt to your desired saltiness.
- Allow the caramel sauce to cool. It will be fairly thin, but will thicken as it cools. Store it in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Download Recipe here >> Chocolate Brownies with Salted Caramel Sauce