There are lots of great things about this cake – it’s genuinely easy, does not need a mixer of any sort, and it feeds a lot of hungry mouths! You can dust it with icing sugar for a simple finish or top with out delicious cream cheese frosting for something a bit more special.
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 125g cream cheese (room temp)
- 60g butter (room temp)
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 cups icing mixture
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (160 fan forced). Spray baking tin (approx 34cm x 22cm) with cooking spray and line with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugars, eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and yoghurt until combined and then slowly whisk in the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and cook for 35-40 mins or until the cake is puffed, springing back to the touch and pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually beat in cocoa, icing sugar and milk until smooth.
- Spread over the cake and top with coconut flakes, berries, hundreds and thousands or shaved chocolate.
To Download Recipe Card please click here >> Tray Bake Chocolate Cake